Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas traditions

Last night I was thinking how much my Christmas tradition has changed since I had a family of my own. I was a little wistful. I did enjoy getting ready for Misa de Gallo then going home waiting for 12:00 to greet every one Merry Christmas and the opening of gifts begin.

The past Christmases, we had to have the Noche Buena and opening of gifts earlier in consideration of the sleeping time of the kids.

As I cleaned up the torn gift-wrappers, I was missing that old tradition. But then I flashed back a little and recalled Alon's excitement of opening every gift.

"Awwww! Nice. I like it." He hasn't really given it much look.
"Ay, so sweet!" to every time I tell him who gave the gift.
"Ako na mag-open. Kaya ko na kasi malaki na ako." This is when we offer help.

I realized, this is my tradition now... to enjoy the look of anticipation on the faces of my sons. While they are still young, I will have to relish that unconditional joy from just opening gifts, of seeing their pile grow. 

When we were settling for bed, I asked him if he was happy, He said he was. I gave him a little reminder that it was the birth of Christ and that people gave gifts to each other to show their love and to honor Jesus. He was scratching his eyes, nodding his head. I don't think he absorbed what I was trying to say. 

I doesn't matter though. There is always every day to remind him.

Merry Christmas folks! May we all rejoice in the joy of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment